Driving to school in the morning? Use the rolling drop-off zone! Look for the cones near the Ellis Street entrance from 8:00-8:15. Simply pull up inside the cones, wait for volunteers to help your student exit your car, and pull away when clear. There's a secondary drop off Zone on King Street that's staffed when there are sufficient adult volunteers to cover both sides.
Who are These Volunteers (& How Can I Help)? Each 1st through 5th grade classroom is assigned two weeks per year to provide adult volunteers to run the drop off. Scroll down for more information about volunteering or coordinating volunteers for your class!
2016-17 Class Volunteer Schedule
Week Grade / Room / Class
(contact your room parent to sign up!)
Sep-05 5th / 205 (P9) / Arroyo
Sep-12 5th / 207 / Hohenhaus
Sep-19 5th / 201 (P7) / Gillespie
Sep-26 5th / 202 (P8) / Fry
Oct-03 4th / 205 (P6) / Rainey
Oct-10 4th / 208 / Fouche
Oct-17 4th / 107 / Cottle
Oct-24 3rd / 105 (P5) / Pudlowski
Oct-31 3rd / 112 / Hiratzka
Nov-07 3rd / 110 / Cobeen
Nov-14 3rd / 114 / McDaniels
Nov-21 3rd / 111 / Wagner/Manekin-Hrdy
Nov-28 2nd / 102 (P3) / Gold
Dec-05 2nd / 109 / Beers/Abdolhosseini
Dec-12 2nd / 103 / Adcock
Dec-19 No School
Dec-26 No School
Jan-02 2nd / 113 / Huntington
Jan-09 2nd / 102A (P5) / Braga
Jan-16 1st / 3 / Curtin
Jan-23 1st / 1 / Caswell/Whitman
Jan-30 1st / 6 (P1) / Kai Shen
Feb-06 1st / 104 (P2) / Richerson
Feb-13 5th / 205 (P9) / Arroyo
Feb-20 5th / 207 / Hohenhaus
Feb-27 5th / 201(P7) / Gillespie
Mar-06 5th / 202 (P8) / Fry
Mar-13 4th / 205 (P6) / Rainey
Mar-20 4th / 208 / Fouche
Mar-27 4th / 107 / Cottle
Apr-03 No School
Apr-10 3rd / 105 (P5) / Pudlowski
Apr-17 3rd / 112 / Hiratzka
Apr-24 3rd / 110 / Cobeen
May-01 3rd / 114 / McDaniels
May-08 3rd / 111 / Wagner/Manekin-Hrdy
May-15 2nd / 102 (P3) / Gold
May-22 2nd / 109 / Beers/Abdolhosseini
May-29 2nd / 103 / Adcock
Jun-05 1st / 3 / Curtin
Jun-12 1st / 1 / Caswell/Whitman
Using Rolling Drop Off
- Be patient! Wait until you're near the front to let your student exit your car
- Stay in line - don't pull away between the cones. It's dangerous: there may be cyclists, busses, or other cars coming through.
- No U-Turns - it's illegal on Ellis and King (and dangerous).
Following these procedures is critical to ensuring drop-off runs well. When it does, you will:
- Keep everyone safe - as traffic flows more smoothly around the school
- Start the day on time - you and your student don’t have to park and walk in to school
Refer to the map image on this page for drop-off zone locations and traffic flow around the school.
Adult volunteers set up and manage the drop-off zone. Responsibility rotates to a different class each week. The schedule is posted on this page, and on the School Calendar.
- Time commitment: 20 minutes
- Safety maintained: immeasurable
Instructions for volunteers
Download and view the full Set Up and Safety Instructions (PDF). And remember:
- Encourage drivers to pull forward.
- Open doors on the first three cars only.
- Help each car in turn - students should be out and door shut before you proceed to the next car.
- Kids can help, but only one per adult.
- Pay attention! Drop-off happens fast for a few minutes only (typically 8:00-8:10).
Instructions for class coordinators
- Send the class a heads-up about two weeks ahead of your scheduled week. Include a link to this web page (malcolmxelementary.org/dropoff) for instructions.
- Have volunteers sign up online with Doodle, WeJoinIn, or a similar site. (see sample)
- Aim to have at least three adults per day (4-5 is better!).
- Email a reminder either the weekend before or, even better, the night before.
Thank you for helping with rolling drop-off!