Online donations are a super-easy way for your family to raise money for the Walk-a-Thon. No going door-to-door, no long phone calls to extended family members. Just set up your child's pledge page and then just sit back and watch the donations come in. The families that did this last year saw their donations triple!
Setting up your child's page literally takes only 3 minutes. Here's how:
1. Go to https://www.crowdrise.com/MalcolmXWalk-a-thon2017 and click on the “Set up your fundraiser” link. (Do NOT click on "Join a team.") If you do not already have an account on Crowdrise, there will be a pop-up where you enter your email and a password of your choice before you go to the next step. You can also register with your Facebook account.
2. Click on “Start your own fundraiser” and fill out the required fields.
3. For “Fundraising Title,” include the name of your child or a title that will help your friends and family recognize that it is actually your page. For example, "Theo's Walk-a-Thon."
4. For “About your fundraiser,” you can write: "(Child's name) will be participating in the Malcolm X annual Walk-a-Thon! Students walk laps, hula hoop, dance, read books, and run sprints to raise money for many important programs. The money raised helps to pay for our PE program, our music, art, and dance teachers, the literacy coach, community events, and much more. We need the support of friends and family so we are able to reach our goals!"
4. Upload a photo of your child. (This step is optional.)
5. That's it, your child's pledge page is live.
That's it! We also have volunteers who can set up your child's online pledge page, if you give us permission (after all, it only takes 3 minutes!). E-mail Jane Tunks Demel if you want help.
We suggest emailing the page to friends and family and posting it on Facebook or other social media.
SAMPLE WALK-A-THON E-mail
Dear Friends and Family,
Please consider supporting Theo and his fabulous public school, Malcolm X Elementary, by making a pledge to our Walk-a-Thon. The students will walk laps, hula hoop, read books, and run sprints to raise money for many important programs.
Donations help pay for our drama and dance teachers, the TK-2nd grade music program, our literacy support teachers, the PE and recess coach, the 5th grade puberty education program, much-needed classroom supplies, community events, field trips, and so much more. We can't imagine Malcolm X without these things!
You can pledge either a flat amount or make a per-lap pledge. Classes with the most pledges will win prizes. Please let me know as soon as possible if you are willing to donate. Funds need to be turned in by Monday, November 6.
Theo is excited to be walking laps for his school. I hope you’ll support his efforts.